Surgical technicians are valuable members of the surgical team, working under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses and other surgical personnel. They prepare the patient and operating room prior to surgery and assist during and after the procedure. Surgical technicians perform duties that are vital for the safety and care of surgical patients. If you’re looking for a career doing meaningful work in the healthcare industry, then surgical technician may be the career for you. Our Surgical Technology program gives you the knowledge and training necessary to obtain entry-level employment as a surgical technician.
You will learn the basic principles of anatomy and physiology, microbiology, aseptic technique, surgical routines and procedures, and how to assist at specialty surgeries. Communication skills and legal and ethical considerations are emphasized as integral parts of the surgical technician’s role. While you’re a student, you will learn in a simulated environment in the classroom and then apply your skills in a medical facility during your externship.
WHICH SURGICAL TECHNICIAN SKILLS WILL I LEARN?
- Sterilize instruments, gowns, surfaces and other supplies
- Help surgeon into fresh gowns and gloves
- Gather linens, fluids and equipment
- Be knowledgeable about procedures
- Prepare instruments
- Count instruments, needles and sponges before, during and after operations
- Check surgical machines and equipment
- Deliver specimens
- Monitor patients’ vital signs
- Prepare patients: wash, shave, sterilize site of surgery
- Wheel patients to and from O.R.
- Handle instruments with the surgeon throughout procedures
- Prepare O.R. for procedures and clean O.R. after procedures
WHERE DO SURGICAL TECHNICIANS WORK?
- Ambulatory Surgical
- Physician Offices
- Outpatient Care Centers
- Medical Centers
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program and other important information, please visit www.heritagecollege.edu/disclosures.
OK: Lic OBPVS